If you are a nonmember of the Machinists union (IAM) or the Transportation Communications union (TCU) paying dues or “agency fees” to keep your job, you are entitled to claim a permanent reduction in your IAM or TCU dues. For calendar year 2011, the IAM admits that 30.62% of International union dues, 14.67% of district lodge dues and 12.24% of local lodge dues are being spent on political, ideological and other non-representational activities for which no employee can be required to pay. For TCU, the figures call for a reduction in calendar year 2011 of 30.62% of International union dues and 11.22% of TCU fees.

According to the "Notice" published in the Fall 2010 issue of the "IAM Journal," you can claim this permanent reduction by sending a letter postmarked during the month of November, 2010, to:

Warren L. Mart, General Secretary Treasurer
International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers
9000 Machinists Place
Upper Marlboro, MD. 20772-2687

Your letter can be short and simple, and needs only to state that you are a nonmember represented by the IAM or TCU, and that you object to paying for the unions’ political and other nonrepresentational activities. Include your name, home address, name of your employer, and the Local Lodge number of the union that represents your bargaining unit, if you know it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In order for you to make this a permanent and continuing objection, your letter should include a line stating that "my objection is permanent and continuing in nature unless and until revoked by me." Under a recent NLRB decision in IAM and IAM Local Lodge 2777 (L-3 Communications Vertex Aerospace), 355 NLRB No. 174 (2010), the IAM is required to accept and process permanent and continuing objections, but you must specify this or your objection will be cancelled after one year and you will have to renew it next November.

Further note: If you are now a member of the IAM or TCU, you need to resign your membership in order to claim this dues reduction, since these unions do not allow members to receive the dues reduction. Click here for additional information on resigning and objecting.

If you have any questions or comments or need help concerning these matters, you may contact us via e-mail at legal@nrtw.org, or by phone at 1-800-336-3600.