Big Three autoworker employees in Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, and all other Right to Work states (click here for a map of the Right to Work states) should know that the recent Right to Work laws in Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin will now apply to you when your UAW contract expires at 11:59 p.m. on September 14, 2015. The Right to Work laws in the other states have applied to UAW contracts for many years.

As of September 15, 2015, you can no longer be forced to be a member of, or financially support, the union. All Right to Work laws give you the choice to resign your union membership and stop paying any union dues or fees or to remain a dues paying member. It’s your choice, not the union’s or your employer’s choice whether you continue to pay any money to the UAW.

For general information on your Right to Work rights and the effects of resigning, click here for IndianaMichiganWisconsin, and other Right to Work states.

If you wish to exercise your rights under your state’s Right to Work law by resigning your union membership and revoking your union dues or fees authorization, click here for a sample resignation and revocation letter, which must be sent to your UAW local Financial Secretary, the UAW International Financial Secretary, and your employer. You may send this letter at any time.

Congratulations on being employed in a Right to Work state! If you have questions or problems exercising these rights or if your resignation or revocation is rejected by anyone for any reason, contact the National Right to Work Legal Foundation by clicking here or calling 1-800-336-3600.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The UAW’s recent announcement that it will extend the existing collective bargaining agreement with the Big Three Automakers on an “hour-by-hour basis” does not change the fact that Big Three employees in Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin now have the right to stop paying union dues. The UAW’s decision to extend the contract does not mean that employees in those states can still be required to pay union dues. If you or someone you know has been denied the right to stop paying union dues by UAW officials on the grounds that their previous bargaining agreement with the UAW has been extended, contact that National Right to Work Foundation immediately by clicking here or calling 1-800-336-3600.