[your address]


[name and address of union]

[To the appropriate union officer (see your union constitution)]:

I am employed by [name of employer].

Effective immediately, I resign from membership in the [name of local union] and all of its affiliated unions.

As a nonmember, I will continue to meet my lawful obligation of paying a representation fee to the union under its "union shop" or "agency shop" agreement with [name of employer] until the current agreement is modified, renewed, extended or expires, whichever comes first, at which time Indiana’s Right to Work law becomes effective as to me and I will no longer be required to pay you anything.

As a nonmember, I object to the collection and expenditure by the union of a fee for any purpose other than my pro rata share of the union’s costs of collective bargaining, contract administration, and grievance adjustment, as is my right under Communications Workers v. Beck, 487 U.S. 735 (1988). Pursuant to Teachers Local 1 v. Hudson, 475 U.S. 292 (1986), and Abrams v. Communications Workers, 59 F.3d 1373 (D.C. Cir. 1995), I request that you provide me with my procedural rights, including: reduction of my fees to an amount that includes only lawfully chargeable costs; notice of the calculation of that amount, verified by an independent certified public accountant; and notice of the procedure that you have adopted to hold my fees in an interest-bearing escrow account and give me an opportunity to challenge your calculation and have it reviewed by an impartial decision maker. Consider this objection to be permanent and continuing in nature.

Please reply promptly to my request. Any further collection or expenditure of dues or fees from me made without the procedural safeguards required by law will violate my rights under the National Labor Relations Act and the U.S. Constitution.

Sincerely yours,


[cc: Employer HR/Personnel Department]